Monday, September 28, 2015

5 Pedagogical Needs That Can Be Improved Through Use of Social Media: Gamification

Through several readings including the book assigned for my Digital and Social Media course titled, Social Media for Educators: Strategies and Best Practices, I have come to the conclusion that social media does have the capability to change the traditional classroom in many ways. The book references five pedagogical needs that we need to examine when considering incorporating social media into our classrooms. This list can be found in chapter 2, p. 30 of Joosten's book:

1. Increasing communication and contact
2. Engaging students through rich, current media
3. Gathering and providing feedback
4. Creating cooperative and collaborative learning opportunities
5. Providing experiential learning opportunities

I would like to explore the idea of experiential learning opportunities, the fifth of Joosten's pedagogical list. Through other readings, I found that some teachers are using what they dub "gamification" techniques in the classroom. "The theory is that by changing at least some of the curriculum to adopt familiar social media activities like checking in or collecting incremental rewards for completing various tasks, that the education system will become more relevant to students more comfortable with the “gamification” culture." (Power) This idea really peaked my interest, because I use to be a "gamer" when I was in high school, and even through college. I built rapport with many students by discussing the latest gaming technologies that were coming out, or the best strategies during game play. It is becoming harder and harder to motivate students to participate in class, but if we could find a way to create a gaming sequence out of a class, it could really make breakthroughs with these students and help them to achieve a higher academic standing and remain more engaged in the classroom. I even found an article that suggested doing a "twitter treasure hunt", which seemed like a great idea to me as I just created a twitter and am already swimming in new information and resources. Teaching students to use social media as more than just a communication tool with friends, showing them that it can also be a great way to find new information about their interests. Even something as simple as having students comment on blogs, or youtube videos as an assignment. Leaving comments has become second nature, as Facebook has radically changed the way we communicate, and to create assignments that utilize this nature will keep students more engaged. 


 Power, D. (2012, January 10). How Social Media Is Changing Education | Sprout Social. Retrieved September 28, 2015. 

Joosten, T. (2012). Social Media for Educators: Strategies and Best Practices. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Here are some links that further explore Social Media in Education and the bold idea of "gamificiation":

3 comments:

  1. Alexis –
    I would like to learn more about the “Twitter scavenger hunt.” Would you be able to share a link to that article? About two years ago, I attended a conference workshop on gamification. I liked the overall idea, especially the student engagement, but it didn’t seem feasible for me. I teach seven different classes everyday and creating a gamification aspect was just too much to take on at the time. However, looking through your resources and having two more years of teaching experience, I might be able to incorporate it on a small scale. You have given me something to ponder.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis,
    I would also like to check out the Twitter scavenger hunt! I have done some gamification in my class but all in a non-tech way (so far). In my geography class, we play "Where in the World is Mrs. Hesse" where students follow clues to find me (like the old tv game show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego"). The first team to find me wins candy bars. For the past couple of weeks, I have been trying to think of ways to make this more technology friendly. Currently, the clues use physical maps that I have in the room, but with all the technology out there, I'd love to go more digital! Maybe Twitter would be one option for a place to start...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarification: when I say they have to "find me," I mean figure out which country in the world I am supposedly hiding in. Each unit is a different continent map that they are learning, and this helps them memorize the map but also learn new vocab. For example, in the population unit, they use population statistics to find the next clue.

      Delete