Thursday, September 10, 2015

SlamNation: Taylor Mali - "What Teachers Make"

This is my first written blog. Something totally new to me, as teaching was just a few years ago. During my first year of teaching, I came across a video on YouTube that really helped me get through the tough time I was dealing with. I would like to share that video now so that others who are struggling to remember their purpose in the realm of education may be as motivated as I was upon listening/watching. Enjoy!



The following video is a performance at a slam poetry event. Taylor Mali shows an empowering response to the questions "What do teachers make?"





2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite videos ever. People have such a strange misconception about what teachers do. We certainly aren't in it for the money. We are in it for the difference that we can make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this video but I have read things that are similar to what he is saying. I feel people truly have no idea of what goes on in the classroom. There is more to teaching than standing at the front of the class and spewing out information. There are times when teachers have to be a listening ear to the student who is having issues at home or guide a parent who is struggling with the child. It is not only about teaching. Sometimes I think teaching is the easy part; it is the rest of being a teacher and all that goes with it that is difficult. But people do not know this or maybe they do but they don't care. So what do teachers make? They make a difference :)

    ReplyDelete