Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Printing Doesn't Have To Leave A Paper Trail


3-D Printing isn't exactly "new" technology, but it is something new that has been making its way into schools. I was recently reminded of this while surfing through a blog and coming across the article Jaw Dropping Classroom 3D Printer Creations. This caught my eye because the school I previously taught at had been working to master the art of 3-D printing. My plan was to integrate 3-D printing into the pre-engineering class that I taught, allowing students to create a solution to a problem and actually be able to generate a prototype. This would also integrate design challenges and the use of 3-D modeling software. After coming across this article, I wondered how 3-D printing could be used in other classrooms. Some great examples were allowing biology students to print organs in order to get a more realistic view of their structure, or allowing foods students to design their own cookie cutters! I now see this as an amazing tool to engage students, allowing the ideas that started out in their minds, to translate into reality.



 The possibilities are endless, and after doing research I found myself opening up to the investment in 3D printing technologies for all students. Check out some of my links and comment your ideas about 3-D printing integration for your classroom!





3 comments:

  1. Alexis
    I was very intrigued by this post because my school recently purchased a 3D printer. The classes are still trying to figure out how everything works, so I'll definitely pass along your helpful links. 3D printing has endless possibilities for student creativity and engagement! I love how its hands-on learning for the students and it makes them critically think. What does your school use for a 3D scanner? I know there are many options, even some phone apps. What do you recommend?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe they just use the maker bot scanner that came with the printer. I had no idea there were phone apps that could be used a scanner. Unfortunately I wasn't able to play around with it too much while I was at that school because it was being utilized for the CADD courses pretty exclusively. I would love to see an expansion of 3-D printers into all academic areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school just purchased three 3D printers. We just creating a maker space in our library where one of the 3D printers is there for students to use, also with a 3D scanner. The other two are for our industrial technology courses and the robotics team I coach. I didn't realize how valuable this technology would be for robotics until we started to 3D print our own parts. The opportunities were (almost) endless! My challenge now is to integrate 3D printing into my mathematics (Algebra 2) classroom. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete