Saturday, October 24, 2015

Autodesk Ribbon Toolbar Changes 2014-2015 Appsmash

This week I was assigned to create an AppSmash for my Digital and Social Media in Education class. I chose to create a smash using three apps: Skitch, Tellagami, and YouTube. I started the process by doing a google search for an image of the Autodesk Inventor toolbar. Autodesk is a 3-D modeling program that is often used in engineering classes. It offers a very user friendly interface, that is constantly being changed every year to try simplify use for all users. It can also be used as a collaboration tool for group projects by using the assembly function. This allows for multiple parts to be created separately, and then combined together into one file. During my search, I found an image that sparked an idea. It showed a clear change between the 2014 and 2015 ribbon for extruding(turning a 2-D sketch into a 3-D part). I chose to use this photo because I knew that Tellagami had a 30 second recording limit, and I knew that I could easily summarize the change that we saw. I then copy and pasted the image into Skitch, where I added circles and a label to make it more clear of where the viewer was suppose to focus their attention while my avatar was talking. I thought that some students may be distracted by the avatar, and this way it would be easy for their eyes to pop right over to the area of focus. After completing my annotation in Skitch, I assigned the image as the background for my Tellagami. After creating a quick avatar(there weren't many option for changes with the free version), I recorded my message. I then saved my Tellagami, emailed it to myself, and moved to my desktop to upload the video to YouTube. The entire process was pretty simple and took me about 45 minutes to complete once I knew which Apps I wanted to incorporate. This was my final product:







Through the assignment, I was able to explore some other Apps that could be useful in an educational AppSmash. One that I came across was Hyperlapse. While I didn't have the time to incorporate it into this assignment, I felt it could be useful for instructional videos and how-to's. Bellow are links to the Apps that I used and also to Hyperlapse. My only issue with this assignment was that most Apps seem to be more user friendly for those with an apple product. I was lucky enough to have an IPad to work from, but I found myself bouncing back and forth between my IPad and desktop between the different Apps.



Tools Used:

Skitch- used to annotate image

Tellagami- used to record message, animate avatar, save video

YouTube- used as medium to upload video for sharing

Blogger - used to share video, add commentary/explanation of video creation

9 Ways to Use Hyperlapse in Your Schools Video Efforts

1 comment:

  1. Isn't Tellagmi a fun app?! I'm so glad I found and used it for my project as well. However, I wish we could record more than 30 seconds.

    Hyperlapse looks awesome! I'll have to brainstorm how I can use that app in my classroom.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete